Friday, September 17, 2010

The 80/20 Rule

The 80/20 rule is something else that was helpful to me when I decided I was going to get healthy.  I'm a bit of  a perfectionist which carries over to my eating.  If I decide I'm going to eat healthy and then I go ahead and have a piece of cheese cake at book club, then I feel like I've failed.  The 80/20 rule tells me that if I eat good things 80% of the time, then it's ok not to 20% of the time.
I have to admit that at this point, I'm more of a 90/10 sort of gal, but that came later.  Anyway, this worked great for me. I'd eat mostly healthy food all week, and then I could feel OK about going out for Mexican food on Saturday night.  This also helped me cut down on the pop.  Coke was a hard thing for me to give up. If I told myself that I'd never drink another Coke, of course I'd want one immediately.  So instead I'd have one a week.  Some foods just need a coke to go with them (think Pizza and Bajio).  So at first I drank pop, but much less than usual.  The more I read and learned, the less I craved it. It's now been months since I've had a pop.  And I'm OK with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment