Thursday, September 23, 2010

If I don't want it, it's not Willpower

 A friend of mine recently commented that she admired my willpower.  I thought that was so strange. I don't have any more willpower than any one else.  What I do have now that I didn't before is Knowledge.  I've tried the weight loss thing for years with zero results, until last year when it finally clicked.  Now that I know the Why and the Why Not behind my eating and exercise choices, it's simple. No willpower required.

Here are some of the books that have really helped me:

The Culprit and the Cure:Why Lifestyle is the Culprit Behind America's Poor Health by Steven Aldana. Once you understand why your current lifestyle is causing poor health and see what is meant by good nutrition and physical activity, you will be more ready to change your behaviors.

In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan He talks about the Western diet and its detrimental effects on our bodies and culture.  We're overfed and under nourished!

Eat To Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman  This will educate you on why you on the importance of eating vegetables, fruit, and beans and contains a 6 week plan to lose weight quickly eating plenty of real food.  Eat For Health: Lose Weight, Keep it Off, Look Younger, Live Longer by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.  This is a 2 book set and is similar to Eat To Live except that it gradually eases you into Dr. Fuhrman's nutritarian lifestyle in phases. It's also about losing weight, but more about becoming healthy and preventing and reversing diseases caused by the Standard American Diet. (Diabetes, Heart Disease, etc.) The second book in the set contains recipes.  I haven't used many of them because the ingredients aren't simple common ingredients, at least where I live. But I'd still recommend reading it. 

Mormon Wisdom and Health by Kenneth E. Johnson, MD  This book is out of print, but it's a good one if you can find it. It contains scientific evidence that backs up the Mormon "Word of Wisdom" health guidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment