Friday, September 17, 2010

Healthify-ing Dinner

Tonight I made pizza for dinner.  Here's what I did to make it a more healthy meal.
* Homemade Whole Wheat Crust. I usually grind my own whole wheat flour but you don't have to.  Grinding your own is cheaper and healthier. Whole wheat flour loses it's nutrition if it sits longer than 6 months.
* Instead of using canned pizza sauce which is spendy and not so healthy, I used a can of tomato sauce, added a sprinkle of sugar and some Italian seasoning.  Most canned pizza/spaghetti sauce contains HFCS which I try to avoid.
* Use turkey pepperoni.  It tastes the same, but has much less fat.
* Add veggies for your toppings.  Tonight we had yellow squash, zucchini, and mushrooms.  Also good:  fresh spinach, garden tomatoes, onions, green peppers, and pineapple.
* Go easy on the cheese.  If you cut back gradually, you won't notice when you use less cheese. Or skip it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment