Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Don't Get Too Skinny

     When people say to me, "Don't get too skinny!" I'm not sure how I'm supposed to respond.  I don't think they're really worried about my health,  (Or is it a compliment?) but I wish I could tell them:
     I'm not trying to get skinny.  I'm not restricting or even keeping track of calories.  I'm trying to be as healthy as I can.  I'm learning that if you nourish your body and exercise, it will find the weight that it is supposed to be. 
     I eat fruits and veggies and whole grains because I know that's what my body needs.  I exercise because I enjoy it.  I love Zumba!  I love that I can run 2 or 3 miles now easily.  I love having defined biceps for the first time in my life.  I love not feeling like I need a nap all the time.  I have never felt this good in my life.
     I wanted (and needed) to lose weight at first.  I had a weight goal.  I set it at 135 pounds because I thought it was realistic and it was in the healthy range for my height (110 - 148 lbs).  I'm at 127 now - and still in that healthy range.  My new goal is 125.  I don't know if that's my ideal weight. I just thought it would be nice to weigh what my first driver's license said I weighed at 16. (I doubt I weighed 125 even then.  Maybe 128.)
     If I reach it - great.  If I don't, that's fine too because I feel great.
That's what I wish I could tell them, but I don't think that's what they want to hear.  Instead I just smile and change the subject.  
     So the next time someone says to me: "Hi Twiggy."  I'll take that as a compliment (backhanded as it may be).  At least it's not Fatty McPhatterson right?

6 comments:

  1. I wish someone would tell me I was getting too skinny.. Even if they were thinking it,and talking about me behind my back... that would be OK with me!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you look great Vennesa! Those people just wish they could look as good as you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on reaching your first goal. You are right... I love what you said about just eating what your body needs and it'll find the weight that's right for it! That should be our goal/our focus..not the numbers. Good for you! By the way you won the contest on my site (check your email)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took me a few minutes to get through this post because I had to keep going into the kitchen to grab a few more thin mints. I think people are jealous. They would love to look healthy and thinner. The only time anyone should worry if someone is "too skinny" is if they aren't eating to get there. I love that you are doing it with eating healthy foods and exercising. And I am jealous of the increased energy level. I need to make changes just for that purpose alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a few of those comments recently- and I'm not too skinny, I just stopped breast-feeding and lost those last 10 pounds pretty quickly. But what struck me was that people don't tell people "hey, watch out, you're getting too fat!!".
    Anyway, I love the post and am right there with ya. Weight and all, isn't that funny?!

    ReplyDelete