Thursday, August 9, 2012

Kefir

photo: Keeperofthehome.com

My latest healthy change: adding Kefir to my diet.  Water kefir to be specific.  I ordered the grains online and rehydrated them and I've been growing them for about 3 weeks.  Kefir is a probiotic drink that is loaded with healthy bacteria and yeast strains.  It's good for digestion and strengthening your immune system.  To make water kefir you culture the "grains" in sugar water at room temperature for 24-48 hours, then strain out the grains, flavor and drink it.

My 2 youngest like it mixed with cranberry or orange juice. I've been using it in my smoothies in place of the water or mixed with juice.  I can't handle the taste of it plain, but my husband will drink it straight.  The 3 older kids won't even try it.  (They've had it in smoothies but don't know it.)  I've also cultured the grains in coconut water and that works too.

A couple of sites with good information on Kefir and how to make it:
Yemoos.com 
CulturesForHealth.com 
KeepOfTheHome.com
 I'm still a beginner, so if any of you experienced kefir people have any tips or recipes, please share.

1 comment:

  1. Where did you buy them? Was it Cultures for Health?

    ReplyDelete