Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Yellow Daal and Naan - My 1st Attempt at Indian Food

     I tried Indian Food today for the first time tonight.  I made Yellow Daal over rice and some Naan (Indian flatbread) to go with it.  Yellow daal (also spelled dhal) is a thick lentil stew made with yellow split peas.  It was hard to find a recipe with ingredients that I'd heard of, but this one was simple and familiar. I also steamed some veggies just because I knew someone would refuse to eat it and I wanted to have something on the table that everyone would eat.
     I found a Naan recipe online, but it was cooked on a grill.  I didn't want to fire up the grill in the backyard, so I went with the griddle.  They look like pancakes in this picture, but they were actually super good.  Everyone liked the bread.  I really liked the daal and so did my husband and 3 of the kids.  The 2 others we had to promise that if they took one bite, they'd never have to taste Yellow Daal again.  One ended up liking it, the other is too stubborn to admit it even if he did.
Next time I want to try making the naan with whole wheat flour and I'd probably not cook the daal as long or maybe add less water.  It ended up the consistency of mashed potatoes, but the flavor was good.  Not bad for a first try!  The leftovers will make a great lunch tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. Yum! We were lucky enough to have an Indian restaurant nearby for a while--when they closed we lost our primary source of naan. :( One of the best things of living here is that the kiddos have grown up with all kinds of food--they're fearless! We actually had to create rules about sushi for Miss O. She loved the stinky little fish eggs that get stuck in your teeth. Ew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 4 year old niece loves sushi. (She even has her own play sushi set) And our youngest is the only one of our kids who will eat it. I know from experience that if you expose them to all types of food when they're young they become better eaters. I wish I could rewind about 14 years for that reason!
      You are so lucky to have all kinds of food and entertainment so close. When I went to Seattle this summer one of the things I was most looking forward to was the food. We don't have much variety at all around here unless we want to drive to SLC.

      Delete
  2. Looks yummy! And we have the same thing with our kids. Too stubborn to admit they may actually like it. I wanna hear more about your trip to Seattle. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some time I should tell you all about it Heather!

      Delete
  3. I want to try the Naan recipe. I like all things bread related. :) Also I want to find an Indian restaraunt we can go to and try all the different dishes so then when I make them at home I will know if I am doing it right or wrong. Sometimes with foreign recipes that I make at home I can't tell if it is gross because I made it wrong or if it is gross just in general. :) You are always adventurous in your recipes. I need to follow your lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, I still haven't tried curry. It would save me so much $$. I've been getting Thai take out once a week!

      Delete