Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tacos and Chili

I made tacos last night.  That means tonight is chili - with the leftover taco meat.  And we always have leftover taco meat because our grass fed beef is packaged in 2 lb sections.  Who really eats 2 pounds of hamburger in one meal?  Not us.
So, I made tacos.  Since I'm eating hardly any meat these days, I filled my corn tortillas with garbanzo beans heated with a little water and taco seasoning instead of beef.  The rest of the family ate theirs with beef, but they snacked on the rest of my garbanzo beans.  So that's progress.
Tonight though, I will be eating meat.  I'm making chili and corn bread.  Sometimes I hesitate to post recipes because people come here looking for healthy recipes right?  And sugar is not healthy. There is sugar in my corn bread. There's butter in there too.  But remember the 80/20 rule?  I eat healthy food most of the time and that works for me.  So if you're looking for 100%, this is not the blog for you.
Here's the chili I'm making tonight:

Crockpot Chili  -or Slow Cooker Chili if you want to be politically correct
2-3 stalks celery chopped
1 carrot chopped
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 lb ground beef (optional)
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp cumin
1 large clove garlic
2  (8 oz) cans of tomato sauce
1 or 2 cans* diced tomatoes (15 oz)
1 or 2 cans* of beans, rinsed and drained (I used Great Northern and Black Eye Peas)
1 cup water
1 tsp Worchestershire Sauce
A little salt and pepper

*When I make this for my family of 7, I do 2 cans each of beans and tomatoes.  Otherwise, just go with 1 can.

Fry up the beef, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, cumin, and chili powder. (If you're using leftover taco meat, or omitting beef altogether, then stir-fry the vegetables and seasonings.)  Pour into slow cooker and add remaining ingredients.  Cook on high at least 3-4 hours.  Or on low for longer.

And, if you feel like making some really good Corn Bread.  Try this recipe, but substitute whole wheat flour for the white.  It's my favorite.



7 comments:

  1. I like the 80/20 concept. I am not usually a big fan of chili but this recipe sounds good, especially on a cold day like today. I bet this chili would be good on top of a baked potato. I also want to try the cornbread recipe. Looks tasty. Hmmm, I am hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to try the cornbread recipe. I love cornbread. I tried the chili at moms tonight. Really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! We are having our first day of snow today, perfect chili weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! And as they say, everything in moderation :) There is probably less sugar in the cornbread than most people drink in juice, coffee, tea, and soda in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds yummy, and we are finally getting some "chili" weather. (pun intented)
    I'm with Jacque. Chili over a baked potato. Mmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where do you get grass fed ground beef? How much does it cost by pound? Does it say right on there that it is grass fed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke, At least where I live you can't buy grass fed beef at the grocery store. We get it from a family member who raises beef. I would suggest googling it to find it in your area. I have a friend in Montana who raises and sells beef. Her web site is: www.tamisgrassfedbeef.com
      That should give you some idea on pricing. It's definitely more expensive that store bought!

      Delete