Tuesday, November 8, 2011

What's Wrong With People??!

I wish someone could explain to me why people get so bothered when someone chooses to eat differently than they do.

I buy my 100% whole wheat bread at a bakery outlet. I've been going there maybe twice a month for more than a year. They lady who works there has always been polite and sometimes even friendly. Lately I've been bringing my 4 year old Grace with me.  She's always made it a point to talk to her and last month she gave Grace a small package of expired Zingers.  It bothered me that she didn't ask my permission to give it to her. When we got in the car we talked about healthy food and "sometimes" food.  I said "Do Zingers and donuts make our bodies strong and healthy?"  We talked about that, but the thing that made the biggest impression on Grace was the lady's stained crooked teeth.  She made the connection in her mind that treats from the bakery outlet make your teeth brown and rotten.

And just so you know, we'd already been to the credit union and the pharmacy that morning and they'd given her suckers at both places.  I know they're just trying to be nice.

The next time we went to the bakery outlet, the lady offered her some donuts.  Grace politely said "No, thank you."  And the lady was saying "It's ok! You can have them.  You can eat them later!"  Grace again said "No thank you". I was so proud :)  Then the lady said "Why!?"  And Grace said "I want to be healthy."  The lady did not handle it well. It was weird.  Like she'd been personally offended.  (side note: I should be grateful she didn't say anything about the teeth!)

So this week when we went the lady was smug and snotty.  She didn't say a word to Grace or even look at her. When she rang up my purchases said in a real snotty voice "Do you want a Ding Dong?", holding out 2 of them in her hand.  She didn't even look up.  It was so rude!

This kind of thing from strangers is one thing, but sometimes I get it worse from people who are supposed to be my friends.  It's not like I go around making comments on what everyone else eats.  I eat the way I want to and teach my kids what I know and hope one day that it will catch on. 

6 comments:

  1. Stay strong. Your kids are lucky to have you as a good example.
    {Ignore the snotty lady at the bread store. She's a ding dong.}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Veronica. Your kids are lucky to have such a great example of what good eating looks like. My poor kids. They live on hot dogs, chicken nuggets and pizza. I wish I had a greater appreciation and value on healthy food. I think the majority of us eat twinkies, donuts, ding dongs, suckers (their kids’ halloween bag full of crap) without even thinking twice. I know I do. Grace is learning great habits at a young age.
    P.S. You so lucked out on her not saying, “I don’t wanna have ugly, crappy teeth that look like yours, Lady!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids are far from converted to healthy eating. Grace was really just freaked out about the teeth. Every other day she begs for Halloween candy. I've told her to only eat 4 each day. And London ate 20 pieces of her Halloween candy in one sitting! I counted the wrappers! But one day it will sink in. I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Veronica too. That is a very odd exchange. I think most cashiers would be polite and gracious.. maybe even offer a "good for you little girl" kind of comment. So weird. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why are they offended? They probably just feel guilty because they know how they should eat and how they actually do. Food is it's own culture up here, but the benefit is that there are healthier options at most parties, gatherings, and restaurants. And good for you for talking to your kids--so many parents don't. Besides, if keeping her teeth nice is motivation to say no to expired junk food, more power to her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! I love this post!! Sometimes people just plain suck! I think it comes from guilt for sure though!

    ReplyDelete