Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Benefits of Essential Oils

www.mydoterra.com/vmurray
             Essential oils are natural compounds found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers, and other parts of plants. If you squeeze the peel of a ripe orange, the fragrant residue on your hand is full of essential oils. Essential oils don't just give plants their distinctive smells, they also provide plants with protection against predators and disease.
  
       I've been using essential oils for a year and a half.  At first I was curious, but very skeptical. I'm now a strong believer in the benefits of essential oils. Now I'll reach for my oils before anything else in the medicine cabinet.  Instead of ibuprofen I'll use peppermint for headaches.  Lavender calms bug bites.  I use a drop of lemon in my orange juice for a couple days when I feel a cold coming on.  I also use different oils for muscle pain, stress relief, relaxation,  gallbladder pain, and croup. I even use an oil as an insect repellent in place of commercial chemical ones.  No DEET here!  I just feel better about using oils.

       Essential oils are absorbed directly through the skin into the blood stream for an immediate effect.  They are safe and side-effect free.  That said, you still need to do your research.  Some oils can irritate the skin if used full strength. They have to be diluted with another oil like coconut oil.  Not all oils can be taken internally either.  Make sure that the oils you use are Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade.  I love that essential oils are natural and I can use them to help my family and I'm really excited to learn more.

       I've been wanting to do a give away on my blog for a while, so I've decided to do an essential oil give away.  Check back on Friday if you want to enter.

       To learn more about doTERRA Essential Oils click here.

2 comments:

  1. Love Lavender. I like to sniff it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peppermint, Winter green, and eucalyptus have saved me lately with the sinus congestion I've been having. They're great!

    ReplyDelete