Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Gallstones Rock

      My gallbladder hates the month of April.  Or April hates my gallbladder. I’m not sure which.  You see, our annual 5K is Friday and I’m a little nervous.  I had big plans of training this year and not getting beat (as badly) by my children.

      But April came around and I quit running.  It’s hard to run when you can’t take a deep breath and it feels like someone’s sitting on your chest.  No, it’s not a heart attack. It’s my gallbladder.  This happened last April too, right before the 5K.  I went to the doctor and had an ultrasound which showed a few stones. I even consulted with a surgeon. He told me that 80% of people have gallstones and don’t even know it.  He said I shouldn’t have surgery unless it was really bothering me. By the time I met with the surgeon it wasn’t bothering me.  And since I would prefer to keep all my organs, I let it go.  I'd decided I was miraculously healed.

      3 weeks ago it came back to torture me for 2 weeks.  Now I’m pain free.  But here it is, time again for the 5K and I’m not prepared. 

Wish me luck!

10 comments:

  1. Gallstone Rock, that is funny. :) I feel your pain (or atleast I felt it before). I bet you will do great at the 5K, but if all else fails and you start to fall behind you could take some shortcuts through the neighbors backyards and show up at the finish line first. Your kids will just think you are so fast they didn't see you zoom by them! (Also if you do this you should make a wager with the kids beforehand, something like, "everyone who arrives at the finish line behind me is in charge of cleaning the house for the rest of the month", it would make cheating worth it and then you and your gallstones can sit on the couch and relax.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That, my friend, is a great idea!
    Oh, and the "Gallstones Rock" is actually on a T-shirt that I saw. I'm getting you the other shirt that says "Who needs a gallbladder anyway??"

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really stinks! I won't even pretend to know what that is like, but I'll imagine, It stinks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The word gallstone makes me cringe! Worst pain in my life! Good luck at the 5K. Kick your kids trash!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having my gall bladder out is the best thing that's ever happened to me! I highly recommend it if you continue to get attacks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tarynn, it's not that bad yet. Some day I might have to do it though. Not something I'm looking forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I found your blog through Trainer Momma's blog. I'm wondering if you have a recipe that you use for baked oatmeal? I love oatmeal and baked goods with oatmeal in them, but have never tried "baked oatmeal" and it sounds intriguing. I first googled recipes for it, but then thought maybe I should check to see if you have a healthy(er) recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, Here is a link to the Baked Oatmeal. It has 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter and 1/3 cup brown sugar. You could probably cut back on those and it would still be tasty.
    http://zrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/01/baked-oatmeal.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter was having strange, yet awful periodic abdominal pain and she was just diagnosed with gall stones. She is getting a second opinion this week. She doesn't want surgery and she is not in pain all the time. Tough decision about what to do.

    Thanks for commenting on my Salads and Such blog. DO give cauliflower a try roasted and let me know what you think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Getting my gallbladder removed was the best thing I ever did. It pushed me to dig deeper and learn everything I could about my food and it basically forced me into having the best diet I've ever had and loosing MORE weight then I ever thought I could.

    ReplyDelete