Thursday, May 19, 2011

5K 2011


Well, we did it!  I was having a dilemma the night before, thinking I shouldn't have signed up my 6 year old.  I was worried he would give up.  I really wanted him to have a positive experience.  Also, my mom self was struggling against my competitive self.  I really wanted to beat my time from last year and I didn't want to get impatient with him.  I decided the night before that being his mom was more important than beating my time.  And I felt good about it.

The first mile, he stayed about 5 steps ahead of me.  The second mile he started to fall behind and we slowed down a little.  I kept encouraging him and he never stopped running.  He also never said a word.  He was in the zone!  My sister was waiting at the 3rd mile.  She held his hand and ran with him all the way to the finish line.  I was so proud of him for finishing.  He even won first place in his division.

Of course, my older kids all finished before me.  My 8 year old placed first in her division.  (She does every year).  The rest of us each took 5th place in ours.  Even though I was running slower that second mile, I still beat my time from last year by 47 seconds.

7 comments:

  1. Good on ya to all! I think he was pulling me along for most of it. He never stopped once! I think it's a great tradition for your family! Maybe I'll jump in for real next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! Who was taking pics? My kids were sad that they couldn't sit on G-ma's grass and cheer for the runners. Can't remember where we were that night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacque was taking pics. Mom and the kids were cheering us on. It's definitely a tradition we look forward to. You guys want to join us next year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! I'm super impressed that your 6 year old did that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so very cool! When we lived in Idaho there was a great kids run the boys did every year and I really want to find something similar here. Of course, I LOVE that you and the kids all run it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want in next year! A year is enough time to prepare, right?!

    ReplyDelete