Wednesday, April 27, 2011

How much should a salad weigh?

      My salad weighed a pound today.  In Phase 2 of Eat For Health, Dr. Fuhrman recommends eating a pound of fruit and a pound of vegetables daily.
       Today's salad was a spinach and lettuce salad with strawberries, mandarin oranges, feta and walnuts.  I was full after I ate it, so I waited to make the rest of my lunch, which was a 2 egg veggie omelet with 2 cups of broccoli, cauliflower, chopped tomato & a tiny bit of grated cheese.  I forgot to weigh it because the missionaries came to the door right then.  But if I add in the apple and blueberries I had with breakfast, & the half banana snack, I know I've had at least 2 lbs of fruits and vegetables today.  And I'll have more with dinner. 

       As always, dinner is my challenge.  I have 6 other people to please. Nearly impossible! But I keep trying and every once in a while I get lucky.  Tonight will be spaghetti, french bread, steamed vegetables, carrot sticks and salad.  I'm thinking ice cream with strawberries on top for dessert.  (I'll probably pass on the ice-cream and do a green smoothie.)

       In some future post I think I'll take the time to weigh all my fruits and veggies in a day.  It could be over 3 pounds. That sounds like a lot of produce!

       Does anyone else eat this much produce or am I a freak of nature?  Don't answer that.  OK, do, but be kind.

5 comments:

  1. That's a whole lot of produce! I'd be interested to see how much it costs to eat three pounds of produce a day. I'm finding that it costs more to eat healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, forgot to sign out of that account! :)
    You knew it was me though, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work! That is a lot, and I love that part of Dr.F's book. He makes a good case for just getting used to raw veggies, and eating a bowl full like that is a great way to get used to it. I don't think I ever make it, but I have every intention every day of trying :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good idea to figure the cost! You will definitely spend more on produce, but I find that I'm not spending more overall on groceries. (I do buy what's on sale.) Think how much $$ you could spend on produce if you cut out all cold cereal, pop, fast food, junk food, & processed food. But if you're at the stage where you're just trying to add more fruits and veggies and not cut out other stuff, you're right. You will spend more!
    Maybe I'll do a post on it some time. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've cut out cold cereal and most junk foods like fruit snacks, pudding cups, pop tarts etc. We've cut back on the amount of meat we use as well. I feel like we're doing really well that way. I panic at dinner time cause it seems like we have all these fruits and veggies and no plans for dinner. I need to find good healthy recipes (at least a weeks worth) to turn all the produce into meals. A lot of my produce goes bad before I get to it. That's what gets expensive.

    ReplyDelete