Monday, November 22, 2010

Mediterranean Quinoa



Ingredients:
  • 1 cup Quinoa dry
  • 1 14.5 oz can Chicken Broth
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil Or Oil From The Sun Dried Tomatoes
  • 2 whole Thin Chicken Breasts, Cut Into 1 Inch Cubes
  • OR 1 can Garbanzo Beans instead of chicken, drained.
  • 2 pinches Dried Oregano
  • 1 whole Medium Onion, Chopped
  • 2 whole Garlic Cloves, Minced
  • 2 small jars Artichoke Hearts (or 1 can) drained
  • ½ cup Marinated Sun Dried Tomatoes, Chopped
  • 5 fresh mushrooms chopped.
  • 1 small Lemon, Zest And Juice, Divided Use
  • ¼ cup dry parsley

Prepare 1 cup Quinoa using 2 cups chicken broth (I use 1 can plus enough water to equal 2 cups liquid.)  Prepare it like you would rice. It only simmers for about 12 minutes until liquid is absorbed. So, while that’s simmering:
In a large saute pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil or use the sun dried tomato oil. Add cubed chicken and sprinkle with oregano. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is done, stirring occasionally.
*OR heat 1 can garbanzo beans with the oregano (instead of chicken). Only takes a couple minutes.
Push chicken (or garbanzos) to the side of the pan to make room for the onions. Saute for 4-5 minutes until softened.
Add the garlic. Push the onion mixture to the side to make more room and add the artichoke hearts. Mix it all together and lower heat.
To this mixture add the sun dried tomatoes (save the rest of the jar for next time), mushrooms and lemon zest. Stir to combine. Turn off the heat and add the parsley and lemon juice. Finally, add the cooked quinoa to the mixture and stir well to incorporate all the ingredients and flavors.

And just because- I was comparing these two pictures today. My son says I look the same.  Yet I still allow him to live here.

November 2010
June 2009

5 comments:

  1. Same if he means gorgeous! Gorgeous in both :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was gonna say the exact same thing as Amy. He meant you look like the same hot mom he's always known. Beautiful in the before and after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend just posted this recipe:
    http://ourscoop.blogspot.com/2010/11/corn-and-black-bean-quinoa-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try it with chicken broth. Sounds yummy. And I'll have to try your recipe too. I'm excited to actually read more of your posts. I'll have to go back a little and read. I need some good healthy recipes. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why are these posts not showing up in my reader! I just came to look for the quinoa recipe and noticed at least 4 posts that I never saw. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete